Part 3: Lesson design and teaching
3.1. Lesson Structure
- Presentation-Practice-Production (PPP)
- Modeling-Comprehension-Discovery-Practice-Production (MCDPP)
- Engage-Study-Activate (ESA)
Spratt et al 2011 (“TKT Course”), Units 20-21, pp. 133-144
3.2. Input and modeling: listening and reading
- Comprehensible input.
- Importance of exposure.
- Listening/reading for comprehension/gist.
- Formulaic expressions.
- Extensive reading.
Nunan 2015, ch. 3 (“Listening”), pp. 34-47
3.3. Guided discovery and noticing: inferencing structures
- Grammar & formulaic structures.
- Inductive approach/guided discovery of the structures.
Thornbury, S. (2019) Learning language in chunks. Part of the Cambridge Papers in ELT series PDF
3.4. Output and production: speaking and writing
- Peer interaction.
- Spontaneous speech.
- Negotation of meaning.
- Aspects of performance: accuracy, complexity, fluency.
Hendra, L. A. & Jones, C. (2018). Motivating learners with immersive speaking tasks. Part of the Cambridge Papers in ELT series PDF
Kerr, P. (2017). How much time should we give to speaking practice? Part of the Cambridge Papers in ELT series PDF
Adams, R. (2018). Enhancing student interaction in the language classroom. Part of the Cambridge Papers in ELT series PDF